The fourth film in the Purge series – The First Purge – takes us back to where the annual ritual began, and that was with a small test located solely within in the confines of Staten Island, New York.
Set shortly after The New Founding Fathers won the White House, The First Purge attempts to explain how the country ever agreed to this concept in the first place. And while there are a few lines addressing that, you still aren’t totally clear on all the reasons this came about, but that is what future installments are for.
The Nerdy was provided with a copy of the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital package for this purposes of this review. Compared to some Blu-ray’s I’ve reviewed lately (I’m looking at Pirate of the Carribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales!) the menus were easy to follow, and there were no issues with navigation. It’s unfortunate to say, but this has been a problem as of late, so it’s refreshing to see one just plainly laid out.
The shortfall, however, is that there are only about 10 minutes of extras total with the film. You can see them all detailed below, but it is is definitely not a selling point if you’re someone who likes to dive into more of the film.
If you want to bring the film home, then it’s a fine package, but don’t be expecting too much beyind the bare minimum.
THE FIRST PURGE BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAYTM, DVD AND DIGITAL:
- Deleted Scene
- A Radical Experiment – Cast and filmmakers discuss how The First Purge expands on the themes of the franchise, making them more culturally relevant than ever before.
- Bringing the Chaos – Violence is inescapable in The First Purge. Here we explore the elements that ramped up the action in the film and made it the most intense installment yet.
- The Masks of the First Purge – A good disguise is a key part of a successful Purge night. In this featurette, we take a look at how the masks in the film added to the terror of The First Purge.
THE FIRST PURGE will be available on 4K Ultra HD in a combo pack which includes 4K Ultra HD Blu-rayTM, Blu-rayTM and Digital. The 4K Ultra HD disc will include the same bonus features as the Blu-rayTM version, all in stunning 4K resolution.
- 4K Ultra HD is the ultimate movie watching experience. 4K Ultra HD features the combination of 4K resolution for four times sharper picture than HD, the color brilliance of High Dynamic Range (HDR) with immersive audio delivering a multidimensional sound experience.
- Blu-rayTM unleashes the power of your HDTV and is the best way to watch movies at home, featuring 6X the picture resolution of DVD, exclusive extras and theater-quality surround sound.
- Digital lets fans watch movies anywhere on their favorite devices. Users can instantly stream or download.
- MOVIES ANYWHERE is the digital app that simplifies and enhances the digital movie collection and viewing experience by allowing consumers to access their favorite digital movies in one place when purchased or redeemed through participating digital retailers. Consumers can also redeem digital copy codes found in eligible Blu-rayTM and DVD disc packages from participating studios and stream or download them through Movies Anywhere. MOVIES ANYWHERE is only available in the United States. For more information, visit https://moviesanywhere.com.
Universal provided us with a copy of The First Purge on Blu-ray for the purposes of this review. We watched the film and all of its extras before beginning this review.
TechnoBuffalo LLC (dba TheNerdy.com) has affiliate partnerships with various companies. These do not at any time have any influence on the editorial content of The Nerdy. TechnoBuffalo LLC may earn a commission from these links.