Venom has had a quick turn around from its theatrical release on Oct. 5, 2018 to hitting home media on Dec. 18, 2018. But it’s here now, and The Nerdy was provided with a copy of the film on 4K to check out. Is it worth you picking up this holiday season? What superhero film collection would be complete without it?
The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray package for Venom comes with the film on a 4K disc, a Blu-ray loaded with the film and extras, and a code to redeem a digital copy of the film. (And, yes, it is Movies Anywhere eligible.)
We checked out both the Blu-ray and the 4K versions of the film, and the quality was noticeably better on the 4K disc. In a film where the titular character is pretty much a shiny jet black, you’re going to want to see crisp blacks, and the 4K copy has that in spades. It was a clear picture all the way through, and I never found myself wishing for a brighter picture.
As someone who loves to delve into the magic behind films, the extras in this package are a treat as they show off some of the insane amounts of work that went into pulling off a CGI character that mixed so much with a real human being. The motorcycle chase through the streets of San Fransisco look as though it consumed the majority of the budget.
If you enjoyed the film, even if you don’t yet have a 4K player, this is the package you’re going to want to pick up to future proof yourself. Skip the Blu-ray package with the DVD and head straight to the version with awesome picture quality.
Bonus Materials Include:
- Venom Mode: When selecting this mode the film will engage informative pop-ups throughout the film to provide insight on the movie’s relationship to the comics, and to reveal hidden references that even a seasoned Venom-fan may have missed!
- Deleted & Extended Scenes: These deleted and extended scenes will give fans even more of the Venom action they loved in theaters!
- Ride to Hospital – Eddie and Venom take a ride to the hospital.
- Car Alarm – Let’s just say that Venom is not fond of car alarms.
- San Quentin – Extended post-credits scene at San Quentin.
- From Symbiote to Screen: A mini documentary about the history of Venom in comics and his journey to the big screen. Interviews with Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, Ruben Fleischer, Oliver Scholl, and Director and Comic Fanboy Kevin Smith.
- The Lethal Protector in Action: Go behind the scenes with the production crew and learn the secrets behind the awesome Motorcycle stunts, wire stunts, and drones.
- Venom Vision: A look at how Ruben Fleischer came to the project, gathered his team, and made Venom a reality. Utilizes interviews from cast, crew, and producers as well as Fleischer himself.
- Designing Venom: Designing and creating Venom meant a huge challenge for VFX artists; follow the amazing journey.
- Symbiote Secrets: Blink and you may have missed it! Enjoy the hidden references throughout the film.
- 8 Select Scenes Pre-Vis sequences: See the progression of the visual effects, storyboards and fight chorography compared to the finished film.
- “Venom” by Eminem – Music Video
- “Sunflower” by Post Malone, Swae Lee (From Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sneak Peek: Meanwhile in another universe…
4K Ultra HD™ Includes:
- Feature film presented with Dolby Vision high dynamic range and Dolby Atmos sound
- Also includes the film and special features on the included high-def Blu-ray
TechnoBuffalo LLC (dba TheNerdy.com) has affiliate partnerships with various companies. These do not at any time have any influence on the editorial content of The Nerdy. TechnoBuffalo LLC may earn a commission from these links.
Disclaimer: The Nerdy was provided with a copy of this Blu-ray for the purposes of this review. We watched the film and the majority of the bonus materials before beginning work on this review.