We get sent a lot of Blu-rays to review. Many of them are just… “fine.” The movie looks good, it plays, the audio is fine, and so on. But so many of the discs we receive just feel like the extras are thrown on as obligations. Even the menus come off as afterthoughts and can be difficult to navigate.
Perhaps it’s because The House With a Clock in its Walls is a kids film things worked out the way they did, but this is a really wonderful Blu-ray release. While it’s just a standard release for the current market and includes copies of the film on digital as well as Blu-ray and DVD, this feels a bit extra special. There is what feels like a very healthy amount of extras included, and while it’s clear some of them are your standard electronic press kit fare, they’re still fun to see included here.
Extra clips such as “The Mighty Wurlitzer” which is all about the music for the film are exactly the type of extras film buffs want to see.
The movie itself is crisp and clear with excellent audio. But if you liked this film at all in the theater, or think it might be something you want to own at home, this Blu-ray is well worth the price of admission.
The House With a Clock in its Walls is available on Blu-ray starting on Dec. 18, 2018.
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAYTM, DVD & DIGITAL:
- Warlocks and Witches – Go behind the scenes with the enchanting cast of The House with a Clock in Its Walls
- Finding Lewis – A look at the casting of Owen Vaccaro
- Jack’s Magical Journey – A look at the unique dynamism and magic that Jack Black brings to the character of Jonathan Barnavelt
- The Great Cate – The cast discuss Cate Blanchett’s wonderful performance as Florence Zimmerman
- The Terrifying Isaac Izard – Watch Kyle MacLachlan’s creepy evolution from living icon to undead-warlock
- Movie Magic
- The Ultimate Haunted House – Join filmmakers for a guided tour through the incredible house at the center of the film
- Automatons Attack – A behind-the-scenes look at the mechanical horrors involved in this chilling sequence
- Pumpkin Puke – Behind the scenes with the cast and an army of spooky, snarling, vomiting pumpkins
- Moving Pieces – Filmmakers and cast discuss the amazing clock room set
- Baby Jack – A behind-the-scenes look at the creepy Baby Jack sequence
- Tick Tock: Bringing the Book to Life – Filmmakers discuss how they adapted the book for the big screen
- Eli Roth: Director’s Journals – Director Eli Roth takes viewers behind the scenes
- Candler Mansion
- Newnan, GA
- The Chair
- Comrade Ivan
- New Zebedee Elementary
- Wrap Day
- Owen Goes Behind the Scenes – Armed with his own camera, Owen guides viewers on his own journey behind-the-scenes of the movie
- Around the Set
- Behind the Camera
- The Big Interview
- Downtime on Set
- Theme Song Challenge – Eli Roth and the cast are challenged to come up with a theme song for the film
- Do You Know Jack Black? – The cast compete with each other to see who knows Jack Black the best
- Abracadabra! – Eli Roth performs a magic trick for Owen Vaccaro
- Jack Black’s Greatest Fear – Eli Roth and Owen Vaccaro play a prank on Jack Black
- The Mighty Wurlitzer – Composer Nathan Barr discusses how he created the film’s unique and distinct score
Disclaimer: The Nerdy was provided with a copy of this Blu-ray for the purposes of this review. We watched the film and the extra features before writing the review.
TechnoBuffalo LLC (dba TheNerdy.com) has affiliate partnerships with various companies. These do not at any time have any influence on the editorial content of The Nerdy. TechnoBuffalo LLC may earn a commission from these links.