Lucasfilm took the wraps off of the cast for Star Wars Episode IX on Friday, and while there were some givens in the mix, there were also at least one surprise.
The returning cast includes:
- Carrie Fisher – Leia Organa
- Mark Hamill – Luke Skywalker
- Daisy Ridley – Rey
- Adam Driver – Kylo Ren
- John Boyega – Finn
- Oscar Isaac – Poe Dameron
- Joonas Suotamo – Chewbacca
- Anthony Daniels – C-3PO
- Kelly Marie Tran – Rose Tico
- Domhnall Gleeson – General Hux
- Lupita Nyong’o – Maz Kanata
- Billie Lourd – Lieutenant Kaydel Ko Connix
More on Fisher in a moment.
Joining the cast this time around will be:
- Richard E. Grant
- Naomi Ackie
- Billy Dee Williams – Lando Calrissian
Speaking to the inclusion of Carrie Fisher in the cast despite her passing, director J.J. Abrams said, “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher. Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us.” He went on to add, “We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”
John Williams will also return to score this film.
Star Wars Episode IX begins filming the week of July 30 and the release is scheduled for Dec. 2019.