The U.S. box office continues to reopen its doors to movie goes, but there is still clearly an uphill battle ahead.
First up, the top ten for this week.
- New Mutants ($7M)
- Unhinged ($2.6M)
- Bill & Ted: Face the Music ($1M)
- David Copperfield ($520K)
- Words On Bathroom Walls ($435K)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge on the Run ($400K)
- Jurassic Park ($200K)
- Spider-Man: Far From Home ($160K)
- Cut Throat City ($155K)
- Spider-Man: Homecoming ($130K)
While not quite as odd as last week’s list, you can see theaters are still filling screens with some catalog titles.
Things should change a bit this week with the domestic release of Christopher Nolan’s Tenet. The film opened in foreign markets this weekend and took in $53M. That shows some promise for the U.S. release.
There is definitely a feeling that it will be some time before we see the enormous box office numbers of year’s past, but there is some interest still there to be had.