March 9 is National Barbie Day in the U.S., and that seems like the perfect time to discuss the upcoming releases for the year.
Mattel has sent us over some photos and information on the first new Barbies coming to stores in 2021. First up, the Fashionista line will be expanding for both Barbie and Ken.
Barbie® & Ken FashionistaTM Doll Assortment (FBR37 / DWK44) & Wheelchair (GRB93/94 & GWX93)
SRP: $9.99/$19.99 | 3Y+ | Available: Spring/Fall 2021
- Barbie offers the most diverse doll line in the marketplace.
- With over 170+ looks, the Barbie Fashionistas line offers girls a variety of skin tones, eye colors, hair colors and textures, body types and fashions to choose from.
- The variety offered within the Fashionistas line is designed to inspire girls to tell more stories and reflect the world girls see around them
- For the first time ever, the line offers a Ken doll in a wheelchair, a doll with lighter skin with vitiligo and a Ken doll with a rooted afro.
Other expansions include the Core Careers line, the addition of Dreamtopia Rainbow Magic Mermaids, a new Barbie and Chelsea playset, and a 60th anniversary Ken doll.
Barbie® Core Careers Dolls (DVF50)
SRP: $9.99 | 3Y+ | Available: Spring 2021
- Barbie Career dolls inspire kids to dream big and aim high.
- Each doll wears a career-themed outfit along with accessories to play out professional moments.
- There are so many careers to explore like a pet vet or a tennis player.
- Each doll wears an outfit for a day on the job, for example, the pet vet wears a lab coat and the tennis player wears a tennis uniform.
- Barbie Career dolls feature different body types, skin tones, eye colors and hairstyles to provide endless storytelling possibilities and create aspirational learning fun.
- Includes doll wearing fashions and accessories, plus career-themed pieces.
BarbieTM Dreamtopia Rainbow MagicTM Mermaid (GTF88)
SRP: $19.99 | 3Y+ | Available: Spring 2021
- Barbie Dreamtopia Rainbow Magic Mermaid dolls feature a color-change transformation that lets imaginations dive.
- Each doll features a neon-bright fantasy look with a tiara in her rainbow hair, a vibrant multi-colored tail and a bodice with sea-inspired accents.
- Dip doll in warm water and watch her hair, bodice and tail instantly change color to reveal a rainbow of pastels.
- Dip her in ice-cold water to see her change back to her original neon-bright look and relive the transformation again and again.
Barbie® and ChelseaTM The Lost BirthdayTM Splashtastic Pool SurpriseTM Playset (GTM85)
SRP: $29.99 | 3Y+ | Available: Spring 2021
- This Barbie and Chelsea The Lost Birthday Splashtastic Pool Surprise playset takes 3- to 7-year-olds on a jungle river adventure packed with fun and animal friends.
- Chelsea doll is ready for a fun day on the water with her baby monkey, elephant and tiger friends — there’s even a parrot that can perch on the tree.
- Kids can fill the playset with water so Chelsea doll and her animal pals can swim, slide and float around the island.
- There are lots of adventures to be had — help them climb the tree to slide down into the river or zipline to the other side.
- Chelsea doll bends at the hips to sit comfortably in her floatie as she floats around the river, and a beverage and towel accessory let kids play out their stories with realistic detail.
Barbie® KenTM 60th Anniversary Doll (GTJ89)
SRP: $50 | Adult | Available: Spring 2021
- After hundreds of letters poured in requesting a boyfriend for Barbie®, Mattel introduced KenTM in 1961 and the world’s most iconic couple was born. The 60th anniversary of Ken Carson is celebrated with this reproduction of the original KenTM doll featuring a Silkstone® body and classic beach style.
- Ken is outfitted in red cotton swim trucks with a white stripe and stylish brown beach sandals with red straps.
- With flocked, sunshine blonde hair, his beach look is complete with a yellow terry cloth towel.
- A “Genuine Ken®” wrist tag keeps him true to the original production and makes him the perfect gift for Barbie fans and collectors.
The Color Reveal line will expand in the fall with several new additions, so keep your eyes open for those.
Barbie is going to outlive all of us, and we’re all for that!