Marvel Studios has announced some major changes to its film release schedule for 2022 and 2023.
The Walt Disney Company announced significant changes to its film schedule on Monday. The first film impacted will be Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and it cascades from there.
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness previously dated on 3/25/22 to 5/6/22
- Thor: Love and Thunder previously dated on 5/6/22 to 7/8/22
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever previously dated on 7/8/22 to 11/11/22
- The Marvels previously dated on 11/11/22 moves to 2/17/23
- Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania previously dated on 2/17/23 moves to 7/28/23
- Untitled Marvel previously dated on 7/28/23 is removed from the schedule
- Untitled Marvel previously dated on 10/6/23 is removed from the schedule
- Untitled Marvel previously dated on 11/10/23 moves to 11/3/23
No reason was given for the massive shift, but the prevailing discussion right now is the theatrical performances of Black Widow and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. Neither film broke $500M globally at the box office, the first Marvel films to do so since The Incredible Hulk. The theory is the studio wants to allow a bit more time for theaters to recover from the COVID issues.
In non-Marvel changes, the untitled fifth Indiana Jones movie has moved from 7/29/22 to 6/30/23.