Kenneth Branagh is back with a new film that is a beautiful love letter to a childhood filled with loving and frightening memories.
While most people spent the early part of the pandemic looking for sourdough starter, Kenneth Branagh decided to write and direct possibly the best film of his career.
Written and filmed during the Covid pandemic, Belfast tells the story of growing up in Northern Ireland in the late 1960s during some of the worst tensions between Protestants and Catholics. Buddy is trying to live the life of a normal child when the violent tensions come to his very door, shattering his childhood fantasies as well as his reality.
Clearly inspired by Branagh’s real-life childhood, he has found a way to make a movie that looks like a childhood memory. Everything around Buddy is painted in huge memory strokes with finer details missing leaving everything looking like fuzzy memories.
As to the Blu-ray presentation, Branagh went deep with commentary tracks now just for the movie, but also the alternate ending and the deleted scenes. His love and passion for this project radiates not just from the film itself, but the way it is presented to you as well.
If you’re looking for a crisp presentation of Belfast, you can’t go wrong with this Blu-ray. And it’s worth every penny of the purchase price, especially if you haven’t seen the movie. It is truly a work of art.
Belfast BLU-RAY™, DVD & DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE BONUS FEATURES:
- Alternate Ending featuring Kenneth Branagh – Commentary with Writer/Director Kenneth Branagh
- Deleted Scenes – Commentary with Writer/Director Kenneth Branagh
- A City of Stories: The Making of BELFAST – Go behind the scenes of BELFAST with cast and crew to learn more about the characters, filming location and Kenneth’s childhood in Ireland.
- Everyone’s Inner Child – Kenneth Branagh, Jamie Dornan, Caitríona Balfe, Ciarán Hinds, and Judi Dench reminisce about their childhoods.
- Feature Commentary with Writer/Director Kenneth BranaghBelfast hits Blu-ray and DVD release on March 1.
Fun Jug Media, LLC (operating TheNerdy.com) has affiliate partnerships with various companies. These do not at any time have any influence on the editorial content of The Nerdy. Fun Jug Media LLC may earn a commission from these links.