It seems that Obi-Wan Kenobi has had quite the journey to reach his own Disney Plus series, but with good reason.
Ewan McGregor is out doing the press tour for Doctor Sleep, and, naturally, the upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi series is coming up in discussions. ComingSoon.net asked McGregor if there was ever talk of a film, and he confirmed that was how this all started.
“It wasn’t always going to be a series, not initially,” said McGregor. “When we first started talking about, that wasn’t really in the cards but everything’s changed so much, so quickly. It’s really exciting that it is now. I’m really into the idea to be able to tell the story over several hours instead of just one hit. I think it’s going to be quite cool.”
McGregor said in another interview that he had been sitting on this news for four years, and that makes far more sense now. There had been rumors of Kenobi being the next stand-alone film for some time, but when Solo: A Star Wars Story didn’t perform as expected, plans reportedly changed. The gossip going around was that Lucasfilm put all future stand-alone films on hold while it took another look at its plans.
Now with Disney Plus in play, one imagines any other possible films that had been discussed are being re-evaluated. We’ll just have to wait and see what else comes along.
The first Star Wars project to hit Disney Plus will be The Mandalorian and it will debut on Nov. 12.