If you’ve been waiting for The New Mutants movie, you may be waiting a bit longer. And in a potential worst-case scenario, the film could skip theaters altogether.
Lets walk you back through the timeline of The New Mutants movie. In July 2017 the film began shooting after having been teased for years. The mutants slated for the film included:
- Illyana Rasputin / Magik (played by Anya Taylor-Joy) – Russian sorceress and the sister of Colossus.
- Rahne Sinclair / Wolfsbane (played by Maisie Williams) – Scottish mutant “struggling to reconcile her religious beliefs with her power to turn into a wolf.”
- Sam Guthrie / Cannonball (played by Charlie Heaton) – Mutant from Kentucky “who can propel himself into the air and is invulnerable while doing so.”
- Roberto da Costa / Sunspot (played by Henry Zaga) – “a Brazilian mutant with the ability to manipulate solar energy.”
- Danielle Moonstar / Mirage (played by Blu Hunt) – Native American mutant “who has the power to create illusions drawn from the fears and desires of a person’s mind.
At this stage the The New Mutants movie was scheduled for a spring 2018 release. Filming wrapped on Sept. 16, 2017, and a trailer was released in Oct. 2017 with an announced release date of April 12, 2018.
From the trailer and comments from crew related to the film, it appeared that the “Demon Bear” storyline was the one being adapted. As it was one of the most popular New Mutants storylines, this worked for fans.
Then The New Mutants Insanity Began
On Jan. 11, 2018, it was announced that The New Mutants would no longer release in April, but was being moved to Feb. 22, 2019. The story was Deadpool 2 would just be hitting certain foreign markets and Fox didn’t want the two films to overlap. Mind you, that was the reason given, but everyone was suspicious.
Then came a report reshoots were going ot take place to insert an unknown character into the film. Then, that became a bit clearer as on March 27, 2018 it was announced the film was moving back again from Feb. 22, 2019 to Aug. 2, 2019 to allow for those reshoots. The new filming was to take place in Sept. 2018, but as of late Jan. 2019, no shooting has taken place.
Now a new report from Merc With a Podcast indicates the film has been delayed again until Nov. 2019, but even then it may now just skip theaters and go directly to streaming via Hulu.
Numerous rumors indicate Fox and director Josh Boone have clashed over the tone of the film, and that has led to there being multiple edits of the film floating around the Fox lot. With the Disney acquisition of Fox looming any day now, it seems that The New Mutants has become a casualty of the deal and no one knows what to do with it at this point.
The New Mutants movie almost seems doomed at this stage. With Marvel Studios planning to take the X-Men characters into the MCU, this film is already an outlier that won’t match with the future of the franchise. Perhaps it’s time to just shelve it and call it a day. While this would be an unfortunate outcome, it is beginning to feel like the only logical resolution.
TechnoBuffalo LLC (dba TheNerdy.com) has affiliate partnerships with various companies. These do not at any time have any influence on the editorial content of The Nerdy. TechnoBuffalo LLC may earn a commission from these links.