There are no active ads.

Advertisement

TrendingCoronavirus

Legendary may attempt to block release of Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong

by Sean P. Aune | December 7, 2020December 7, 2020 10:35 am EST

According to a new report, don’t pencil in viewings of Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong on HBO Max quite yet.

Advertisement

Warner Bros. set the movie industry on its ear last week when it announced that all of its films for 2021 would be debuting in theaters and on HBO Max on the same day. A new problem is emerging, however, that the studio did not clear the plan with all of its partners prior to the announcement.

Deadline is reporting that Legendary Entertainment was informed of the plan only 30 minutes before the announcement was made. This is significant as the production company funded 75% of the budgets of both Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong. While Warner Bros. funded the remaining 25%, it exclusively made the decision to release in theaters and on HBO Max exclusively.

Multiple sources speaking to Deadline say that Legendary Entertainment may be sending legal threats to Warner Bros. as early as Monday to stop the planned release.

Part of the issue is compounded by rumors that Netflix had offered Legendary $250M for Godzilla vs. Kong, but that WarnerMedia had blocked the deal.

A deal could possibly be reached between Warners and Legendary, but it seems as though things are about to get quite interesting over this deal.

Deadline

Advertisement

Sean P. Aune

Sean Aune has been a pop culture aficionado since before there was even a term for pop culture. From the time his father brought home Amazing