Turns out the return to Hogwarts isn’t the happy occasion many were hoping for. That’s because Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald, the newest entry into the franchise, just isn’t very good, according to the critics.
As reviews started to come out, so did the Rotten Tomatoes score for Fantastic Beasts 2, and it’s not doing so good with critics. With 38 reviews accounted for, the sequel has a score of 56-percent. Of the 38 reviews, 22 are fresh and 16 are rotten.
This marks a new low point for the franchise, which has enjoyed a generous amount of critical success over nine movies. Most critics point out that the movie spends too much time setting up future sequels (of which there are three more in the works) instead of focusing on the story it’s telling.
See how Fantastic Beasts 2’s 56-percent Rotten Tomatoes score ranks against other entries in the franchise.
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them – 76%
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 – 96%
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 – 78%
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince – 84%
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – 77%
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – 88%
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – 90%
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets – 82%
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – 80%
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald opens November 16.