Lionsgate has become the latest movie studio to completely rethink its upcoming film schedule. Unlike some other studios, however, they pushed some films way further back.
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to shift plans and strategies, film studios have been constantly retooling their release schedules. As we enter May, there are no major films planned until July 17 currently, and that means there are precious few release days left this year. With that in mind, 2021 is starting to look like a traffic jam, and now it’s time for 2022 to get some love.
Lionsgate announced its new schedule on Friday, and there are some significant changes.
- Fatale – Oct. 30, 2020 (old date was June 19, 2020)
- Voyagers – Nov. 25, 2020
- The Devil’s Light – Jan. 8, 2021
- Chaos Walking – Jan. 22, 2021
- The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent – March 19, 2021
- Sprial – May 21, 2021 (old date was May 15, 2020)
- Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar – July 16, 2021 (old date was July 31, 2020)
- The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard – Aug. 20, 2021 (old date was Aug. 28, 2020)
- American Underdog: The Kurt Warner Story – Dec. 10, 2021 (old date was Dec. 18, 2020)
- John Wick 4 – May 27, 2022 (old date was May 21, 2021)
Damon Wolf, Chief Marketing Officer and Head of Global Distribution, said in a statement, “As audiences from around the world head back to theaters, most will return feeling that specialness that only the traditional theatrical experience can offer. Lionsgate is thrilled to present such a wide variety of films with many more to come. From great branded IP to unique stories from new voices, the terrifying reimagined and some truly hysterical comedy, we join with our partners in exhibition in welcoming movie lovers back to their favorite theaters with something special for everyone.”
As with the changes to all studio schedules, do not consider any of these to be set in stone and more changes are possible.